Simple Changes is fuelled by volunteer energy. Lesson volunteers must be at least 14 years old and able to walk briskly for two to three hours. We require that volunteers commit to coming once a week for at least a 12-week session. Please read the Volunteer description.
Individual and group volunteers also assist with farm projects.
Contact us with questions about volunteering.
Volunteer Job Description
Welcome to Simple Changes! Our mission is to enrich the lives of individuals with disabilities, their families and community through exceptional therapeutic programs, especially equine assisted activities.
- Simple Changes Farm is a private facility. Volunteers are only allowed on the premises during lessons and workdays. Please stay in designated areas.
- Volunteers are trained to assist as sidewalkers in lessons. Volunteers who wish to work with our horses will be taught Simple Changes horsemanship skills.
- The instructor is responsible for the safety of riders, volunteers and horses. Volunteers must always listen to and follow directions of the instructor.
- Please arrive one-half hour before lessons begin. Do not arrive earlier unless requested by volunteer coordinator.
- Attire – sturdy, closed toe shoes, no perfume or dangling earrings, dress appropriately – no booty shorts or low-cut tops.
- Emergency information – familiarize yourself with telephone/emergency information cards, horse and human first aid kits, and fire extinguishers.
- Barn chores
- Grooming, tacking and lesson preparation
- Lessons – Mounting, sidewalking, leading, dismounting
- After lesson chores
- Loose horse
- Fall from horse
- Emergency Dismount
Volunteering at Simple Changes is at the sole discretion of Simple Changes. If at any time the Simple Changes staff determines that volunteering at Simple Changes is not an appropriate activity for said volunteer, staff may remove a volunteer from Simple Changes. We will not tolerate disruptive conduct or any behaviors that are unacceptable, unsafe or disrespectful. Failure to follow directions of instructors is grounds for dismissal.