Thanks for considering Simple Changes as a place to share your energy. Please read the information below.
Volunteers help during lessons by assisting riders, grooming and tacking horses, and helping with barn chores, including mucking stalls. We have strict volunteer standards so that all participants – students and volunteers – stay safe and have fun.
Are you ready to volunteer? The first requirement is to have the desire to work with individuals with disabilities. Other qualifications include:
- Be at least 14 years old.
- Ability to follow directions of program staff and/or instructors at all times.
- Be able to do chores independently, with little to no supervision, once trained.
- Ability to communicate diplomatically with others.
- Be able to commit to a weekly three-to-four-hour time slot for at least three months.
- Ability to walk briskly, jog short distances, and assist riders for three, 45-minute lessons.
- Horse experience is welcome, but not required.
- No smoking, alcohol or drug use at Simple Changes Farm.
- Be willing to undergo a criminal background check.
- Dress appropriately. Wear sturdy, closed toe shoes. Long pants are recommended.
Contact us if you are ready to schedule a volunteer interview.
- Simple Changes Farm is a private facility. Individuals are only allowed on the premises when authorized by staff.
- Volunteers do not ride, train or play with the horses.
- Service hours are considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Volunteering at Simple Changes is at the sole discretion of Simple Changes.
- Individuals and groups may apply to assist with farm projects. These are considered on an individual basis so that we can match groups and projects appropriately.
Download our Volunteer Manual